Monday, March 14, 2011

How To Make Your Own Labels

**If you have used this tutorial or any others by Pink Stitches, please post your pictures on the Pink Stitches Flickr Group! I'd love to see your beautiful creations and feature some of my favorite projects!**



I am working on opening my etsy shop (soon!) so it was time to buy some labels for my stuff. I priced out a few places before I came across Handmade Therapy's blog. She had made her own labels for her shop and saved a ton of money doing it! So here you go... a tutorial of how I made my labels :)



You will need:
- Ribbon (I used grosgrain in antique white)
- Fabric Paint
- Your custom stamp (I ordered mine at Staples for $13.99)
- A scrap of felt (make sure it's big enough for the stamp to fit on)
- Scissors
- Something to pour the paint on. I used a magazine with a piece of cardstock over it but you can use a paper plate or anything you have on hand.



Pour a small amount of fabric paint on the piece of cardstock (or paper plate).



Now place the scrap of felt over the paint and dab it a little with your stamp or finger until it seeps through a bit. You'll be using this as your stamp pad (ink pad).


Before you start stamping on your ribbon, you may want to practice on your piece of cardstock or on the magazine. It takes awhile to get the hang of it. Make sure all the characters on the stamp have paint on them.



The first couple of tries might be sloppy or blotched but it'll get easier as you go and as the paint spreads evenly under the felt.




Fill as much of the ribbon as you please.

Let the paint dry completely before you start cutting them up.




And there ya go! You're ready to start sewing them into your projects!


I'm so excited to start making stuff for my etsy shop! I hope there are people out there interested in the things I make. I'm kinda nervous. It's all in God's hands!

29 comments:

  1. Those look great! I hope you do great with your Etsy store.

    Mimi
    Swap-Bot Phoerauf

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks lovely! best for your etsy store! hugs from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw you at vintage wanna bee! Love this! I have been wanting to make labels! Thanks for the idea.

    mamajillblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmy I have been looking for labels to pu ton my tutus for quite a while I am so happy i saw your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great way to do it. Thanks for posting. Glad I found your blog.
    ~ Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you via Child Made and had to visit...cuz you know...your cute name! And my work in progress Etsy shop was going to be Pinked and stitched! With a bird on it!!!!!! Decided to stick with my blog name but felt we were kindred spirits! :)Love this label idea. Peeking around your blog was super fun! Good luck on your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I've wanted to make some labels for gifts I'm making and this is perfect, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been trying to find an easy and inexpensive way to make my own labels. This is great! Just need to get a small stamp made. Thanks for the tutorial. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great, thank you for sharing this tutorial - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing such a great idea! Have to make a stamp for my shop too now :)
    I'm your newest follower.
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this. I need labels and was trying to find the cheapest option. THis is way better.
    By the way, found you on Tatertots and Jello.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I was looking at other posts, I thought, "I've got to email her and find out where she got her labels." Seriously. Then I stumbled across your tutorial - boo yah! They are so cute! Thank you for sharing how you made them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the label tutorial. I bought some label maker fabric paper at a local fabric store and was going to use that...expensive! Thanks for this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have searched for years on a great idea for making my own labels...this is the best one by far!! Thank-you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great idea! Genius!!!

    Bry
    reeniejaecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. By the way, where did you get your CUTE stamp at?!?

    Bry
    reeniejaecreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use Stampin' Up! craft ink pads! Then you don't have all the other steps. Right now you can only get them in black or white or plain and then you can get an ink refil and choose of of their main craft colors! So much fun!! It's permanent!!

    http://cortneylynn.stampinup.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your labels look neat. You can buy permanent ink stamp pads at office supplies, they work better. Or dye based ink pads at the craft store. Did you have to research your name before picking it. There is one I like but I don't know if someone else has it. Linda
    http://www.handmedownrose@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this tutorial, I have been looking for a way to make my own labels.

    I was wondering what size font did you use for your stamp?

    ReplyDelete
  20. SUCH a wonderful idea! Now I have to think of a name. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I just found you through Miss Mommy's blog hop, love this tutorial! My sisters and I are in the process of opening an etsy shop. This is such neat idea! Thanks! New follower :)
    Tina @ mommasloveandlaughter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is SEW cute...lol, get it. Sorry I am a dork, but I love this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Out of curiosity, does the ink bleed off when you wash it?? That's always my concern - especially since I'd be putting these on quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Download and install McAfee from www.mcafee.com/activate. McAfee. It is an industry-leading antivirus program that powers small businesses to large corporations throughout the world. You can visit Mcfaee and download, install and activate your preferred product from the list. Returning users can visit www.mcafee.com/activate to redeem their 25-digit activation code and start with their download right away.

    Office Setup - Get started Office by download and install. You need 25-digits product key for activation. Get Office setup from www.office.com/setup. Learn to install and activate office setup in 2020 . Office Setup is a complete package from Microsoft of office tools for you PC,

    Norton Setup - Check tips and tricks if you have any issues or questions about the download process or chat with a Norton customer support representative. As cyberthreats evolve, consumers need a single ally for device security, identity theft protection, and online privacy for more information visit - www.norton.com/setup

    Go to www.webroot.com/safe and redeem your 20-digit Keycode. Download, install, and activate Webroot SecureAnywhere from webroot.com/safe. Webroot protects the device from malicious and harmful elements and provides you with a safe environment for browsing and other operations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!