Friday, June 29, 2012

Selvage Tote & Another Bella Pouch

So I attacked my selvage (selvedge?) stack last week and whipped up this adorable tote. I've seen it spelled both ways so I don't know which way is correct.


I have expressed before that I've been wanting to try sewing with selvages but have been a little intimidated. It actually wasn't too bad. The hardest part was trying to keep them straight. But after awhile, I got the hang of it. I was going to make the entire tote out of selvages but decided to add a linen trim at the bottom.


I felt like this bag was worthy of my hoarded Echino trim. I am in love with the vibrant colors and contrasting stitches. I used the turquoise webbing for this bag. And I lined it with a Joel Dewberry print.




I also got a chance to make another Bella Pouch with this gorgeous viewfinder print by Melody Miller. It matched up perfectly with the pink seeds by Denyse Schmidt. Isn't it adorable?




These two bags are now in the shop, along with the typewriter tote I sewed up awhile back. I wanted to keep it but, in all honesty, I have so many bags, I'd never use it. So why not send it off to somebody who will use it and love it?


Tomorrow is the last day to sign up for the Tote & Book Swap. I'll be assigning partners on Sunday. Also, if you've signed up already and have not given me your Flickr username, I need those too so I can invite you to the Flickr group! Thanks!

16 comments:

  1. Bonnie how long do we have to make the tote?
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally give 3-4 weeks. You'll get all the details when I assign partners :-)

      Delete
  2. Very cute. After seeing it online, I get the impression both spellings are technically correct; selvages is used more in America, and selvedges is used more British, European.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Melinda is correct - selvage is American English and Selvedge is British English. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric on the new Bella pouch is sooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw this at TT&J and knew immediately it was you! Love that bag Bonnie, I love sewing with selvedges and always keep them, my stash is building up for the next project! Ros x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The selvedge bag looks SO effective!!! And I love the colours! What a brilliant idea for using up scraps!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to start the tote swap! I have so much selvage ( it didn't auto correct me so I assume that's the right spelling??? ) and bought a book about quilting with random scraps but I am so worried that it'll look terrible. :( I guess I just have to take a chance and try it already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I just added your Bella pouch to my favorites on Etsy - May have to order it today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tote and your Bella pouch is fantastic!! Great choice of selvage fabric and that Viewfinder fabric is awesome. You are so crazy talented :) AJ@queenofmynest

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love both totes, some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute selvage bag. I've been saving my selvages but haven't decided what to do with them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute selvage bag. I've been saving my selvages but haven't decided what to do with them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute use of selvage edges! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!